CREATE: Call for Artists
Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness Dept. and the Center for Health Equity presents:
Description and Objective
Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness and the Center for Health Equity are calling for artists in Louisville, Kentucky to apply for CREATE, Centering Reimagined Equity and Transformative Empowerment.
The Center for Health Equity (CHE) evaluates root causes of our local and national systems to build just and thriving communities. Health Equity means that everyone has a fair and just opportunity to be healthy and reach their full human potential. A person's identities, whatever they may be, should not predict how long or how well one will live.
For the 2021 Health Equity Report, CHE is working with our Community Advisory Board (CAB) to envision a healing ecosystem that caters to the creative wealth and well-being of every resident in Louisville. The CAB has developed visions specific to root causes of health including housing, education, early childhood development, transportation, food systems, and health and human services. This holistic ecosystem centers people and their power as decision makers, creatives, homeowners, protected patients, patrons, and residents in our city. We identify and research root causes of health and their effects on our lives to potentially answer the question, how would it feel to engage with oneself, community, and a local government that acknowledges your needs and voice in the ways it operates? This art proposal calls for Louisville artists to create and engage what healing and holistic public health and wellness looks like, feels like, and eventually become in our city.
- This art proposal needs Louisville residents with dreams, visions and goals for Louisville, and to share that in their chosen medium(s). The artist(s) will participate with the Center for Health Equity staff and Community Advisory Board in visioning and creating community engagement processes to vision out their art project(s) to exist as a living and artistic layer of the Health Equity Report.
- The art project will accompany the Health Equity Report and/or be interactive with engaging in the development, release, and/or dissemination of the Health Equity Report around September 2021.
- The mediums and disciplines to submit are limitless! This can include (but is not limited to) movement, visual art, videography, photography, music, written and spoken word, etc.
- 6-month commitment. This includes but not limited to, regular meeting with CHE staff and/or Community Advisory Board once a month. This project will begin May 2021.
- The art project can begin no later than August 2021. Yet, you will still be committed to engage with CHE in the 6-month interim.
- $10,000 stipend per artist, funding up to two artists. This includes but not limited to materials, fabrication, supplies, marketing, and supplementary support.
- Deadline to apply is March 31, 2021. We hope to have the artist chosen within 30-45 days.
- Proposal applications accepted beginning February 22, 2021.
- A current resident of Jefferson County, Louisville, KY
- Demonstrated prior experience with a collaborative project (to be described by the artist in the proposal)
Submissions for this call are now closed.