Call the LOU HEALTH helpline 502-912-8598.
Art in City Hall
ABOUT ART IN CITY HALL
Art in City Hall is an annual exhibition program developed through a partnership of the Metro Council and the city’s Commission on Public Art (COPA), and administered through Louisville Forward. The program invites artists to submit works of art which are reviewed and selected for the exhibition by a Selection Committee. Selected artworks are exhibited for a one-year period in the entrance lobby, hallways, and public spaces within City Hall. Each artist selected to exhibit their work receives a $500 honorarium.
City Hall is located at 601 W. Jefferson St. in downtown Louisville. The Italianate stone structure was designed by John Andrewartha and C.S. Mergell and built in 1870-73. City Hall’s architectural details on the exterior of the building reference Louisville’s economic strengths at the time it was built, including a series of animal heads above the second-story windows and the pediment relief depicting a locomotive. Today, City Hall houses the offices and chambers of the Metro Council.
The Metro Council is the legislative branch of Louisville Metro Government and is comprised of 26 council members corresponding to the 26 districts throughout Jefferson County.
- Call for Artists is announced and distributed to the community through Metro Council newsletters, social media, and other networks.
- Artists apply and submit materials through an online application on the city’s website. Reasonable accommodations are made as needed for applicants unable to submit through the online application form.
- Artist submissions are reviewed and selected by a committee consisting of Metro Council and COPA representatives.
- Up to six artists are selected for the exhibition.
- Each selected artist is asked to exhibit one or more of their submitted artworks.
- A loan agreement between Louisville Metro Government and each participating artist is completed to document the terms of the artwork loan.
- Submission is consistent with eligibility and specifications below.
- Artwork does not pose a health or safety hazard.
- Artwork does not advertise a business, organization, political party, or person holding or seeking office in government.
- Artwork is not interpretable as advocating hate, violence, racism, sexism, bigotry, or obscenity.
- Artist/Artwork seeks to positively influence and expand the cultural fabric of Louisville.
The Art in City Hall opportunity is open to all artists of any race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or disability working in Louisville/Jefferson County.
Each selected artist will receive a $500 honorarium. In order to receive payment, artists must be registered with the City and in good standing with the Revenue Commission. Registration is not required at the time of application.
October 15 - Online application open
November 12 - Application deadline - The application window is now closed.
November 15 - Artist submissions provided to Selection Committee for review
December 3 - Selection Committee meeting
December 8 - Notify selected artists
December 9, 2021 through January 4, 2022 - Delivery and installation of artwork
January 6, 2022 - Exhibition opening
December 2022 - Exhibition closes, and artists pick-up artwork
For more information, please contact:
Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:
- Solid Waste Services
- Emergency Services
- Political Info
- General Location Info
Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!
- Residential Services & Locations
- LOJIC Mapping Hub
- Snow Routes Map
- Voting Locations
- Short Term Rental Host Eligibility Map
- Waze Traffic Updates & Road Closures Map
- Neighborhoods, Municipalities, and Districts
- Current Air Quality
- Metro Council Maps
- Interesting Story Maps
- Redlining Louisville Map
- One Bright City Initiative
Covid-19 Testing Information Inmate Search Covid Assistance Programs Adopt a pet 2021 Delinquent Child Support List Find a Neighborhood Place Near You Junk and Bulk Trash Disposal Animal Services Sign up for Junk, Garbage and Recycling Notifications Low Income Energy Assistance Program Revenue Commission / Forms & Publications Search our website by keyword Download the 311 mobile app Report an issue Report or search lost and found animals
Download the 311 mobile app and report something to us Order garbage & recycling carts/bins Get an accident report Report a property maintenance issue Get a permit, license or application Pay a parking ticket online City planning and zoning Pay your water/sewer bill Pay your electric/gas bill Bid on surplus items Get a special events permit Pay occupational taxes Pay monthly parking