On the recommendation of the Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness, Louisville Metro Animal Services is taking additional precautions, in response to COVID-19.
Animal control will only respond to serious incidents involving a human and domestic animal in-progress, or to assist first responders. LMAS is open for adoptions, fosters, lost and found services, and stray pet surrenders, during business hours which are from 12-6pm, Monday through Saturday.
Fostering homeless shelter pet can be a wonderful experience for you and your family. You can feel good knowing that you have made a positive difference in an animal's life. Temporary foster homes open-up kennel space so we can save more animals. Fostering can also provide individual attention that certain special needs animals require. Foster commitments range from a couple of days to several months, so you can choose foster options that fit your lifestyle.
Get Started today!
What are the requirements?
- You must abide by policies and procedures outlined in the foster care guide and foster agreement.
- You must have access to email on a regular basis.
- You must be willing to spend an ample amount of time with the foster animal(s) so that they receive the attention and care they need.
- All animals in your home must have up-to-date rabies & vaccinations. All animals in the home must be disclosed to LMAS before fostering a shelter pet. If you are a Jefferson County resident, they must also be spayed/neutered.
What types of animals need foster care?
- Kittens and puppies too young to be in the shelter
- Animals recovering from illness, injury or surgery
- Animals that need a break from the shelter
- Pets with special medical or behavioral challenges
- Animals awaiting transport to rescue
- Animals that need temporary placement due to overcrowding
- Nursing mother and babies
People who are interested in fostering will need to fill out the Foster Application(PDF) and either email/fax to 502-473-2634, or bring the completed application to the LMAS Animal Care Complex, located at 3528 Newburg Rd.
For more information on our foster care program, please contact us.