Adopt A Pet
COVID-19 ADVISORY: LMAS remains open for adoptions, stray pet surrenders, fosters, lost and found services, microchipping services, pet licensing purchases/renewals, and penalty or violation payments, Monday-Saturday from 12-6pm.
Why adopt a shelter pet
Louisville Metro Animal Services is committed to saving more shelters lives by making every effort to find homes for our adoptable pets. When you adopt from LMAS, you will be rescuing a homeless pet from your community. LMAS has found homes for thousands of pets through free and donation-based adoption programs.
LMAS adoptions are far less expensive than purchasing a pet from a breeder or other animal organizations. Our adoption package is worth at least $500 in savings. Spay/neuter surgery, microchip and up-to-date vaccinations are always included.
Where to adopt
Choose from the largest selection of adoptable pets in the region. Meet our adoptable pets at Animal House Adoption Center. You can also visit one of our satellite locations: PetSmart (Outer Loop) and Lucky Cat Cafe' & Lounge. LMAS also offers pet adoptions at community events throughout the year.
Our adoptions programs
Choose from the largest selection of adoptable pets in the region with free adoptions for select pets through one of our ongoing adoption campaigns. Approved adopters have a choice of several adoption programs when looking for a new four-legged companion. LMAS periodically offers limited-time adoption promotions, such as BOGO kittens adoptions.
- Pay It Forward Free Adoptions
This is donation-based program funded by the non-profit Friends of Metro Animal Services which raises money in support of LMAS; and public donations. The PIF program makes it possible for LMAS to waive adoption fees for certain shelter pets and never expires. It's always free to adopt adult cats and adult dogs, 40 lbs. or more for approved adopters.
The required minimum donation is $150 to adopt a dog weighing less than 40 lbs., small breeds and puppies; and a $100 minimum donation for kittens under 6 months. For more info about the Pay It Forward Free Adoption Program, click here.
- Long-Stay Champions VIP Program
The Long-Stay Champions VIP Program was launched in 2018 to promote certain adoptable dogs that have been in the shelter 30 days or longer. Adoption fees are waived for Long-Stay Champions, and adopters will receive a free VIP package worth more than $500 in savings!
Our VIP package includes: Wellness checks & vaccinations for 3 years, Canine License (3-year), leash, harness, collar, large crate, 7-days of free daycare and a chance to win $500. Get more information about the Long-Stay Champions Program and view our Current Champions in need of homes, click here.
- Free Barn Cat Adoptions
Barn cats adoptions are always free for approved adopters. Barn cats also known as working cats, are not suited for life as a family pet, instead preferring little contact with people and the freedom to roam. These qualities allow barn cats to thrive in environents such as garages, barns and warehouses. All you need to provide is food, water and protection from the elements.
By adopting a barn cat, you're giving it a safe place to live and in return, it will keep away rodents and other small animals. Barn cats are already spayed/neutered, microchipped and up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Reduced Donation Adoptions
LMAS may reduce the required minimum donation for certain adoptable pets based on a number of factors which could include age, health and special needs.
What you need to know about LMAS pet adoptions:
- There is an application review process and you must be approved before you can adopt from LMAS.
- Please bring a valid Drivers License or photo identification.
- Every adoption includes spay/neuter, microchip and vaccinations.
- Jefferson County residents must purchase a 1-year pets license which is required by law. Get more information about licensing your pet.
- You do not have to reside in Jefferson county to adopt a pet from LMAS.d
- Meet & greets are required for families with children.
- Cat and dog testing are available by request. (Your pet must remain outside of Animal House until it is time for a meet & greet)
- The adoption approval process ends 30-minutes prior to close of business. Potential Adopters can still meet adoptable pets until close of business.
For questions about our adoption process, view our list of frequently asked questions.
For more information about an adoptable pet, contact us.
Pet ownership comes with a lot of responsibility, and it is a long-term commitment. If you are considering welcoming a shelter pet into your home, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Make sure you're ready for a pet. Get smart pet advice first
- Step 2: Browse our adoptable pets below ↓ or Visit our Animal House Adoption Center
- Step 3: Fill out our online pet adoption application