Following up on last year’s inaugural workshop series, the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District has returned with a new slate of “Clearing The Air” seminars for 2019.
The goal of “Clearing The Air” is to give the public an inside look at the APCD, everything from the science of air pollution to the laws and regulations that protect our health from harmful emissions.
The 90-minute workshops will be held monthly through November at the Louisville Free Public Library, 301 York St. There is no cost to participate.
“No matter who you are or where you live in Louisville, air quality affects you,” said APCD Environmental Coordinator Torend Collins, who is overseeing the workshop series. “So it’s important we provide information and access to resources that can help the community better understand what goes into keeping our air clean.”
Although the smoggy, polluted skies of the 1970s are a distant memory, Louisville still must work to meet federal air quality standards. As a major industrial and logistics hub located in a heavily populated river valley, Louisville is challenged to control air pollution while maintaining a robust local economy.
One of the goals of “Clearing The Air” is to give the community a place to voice their concerns about air quality, said Michelle King, APCD Director of Program Planning.
“We know people have questions, but they don’t always know where to direct them,” King said. “This is an opportunity for person-to-person conversations with the professionals tasked with protecting air quality.”
“Clearing The Air” will be held on the following dates. Sessions are 6-7:30 p.m.
- August 19: Ozone
- September 16
- October 21
- November 18
- February 18: Louisville's Air Quality (Presentation)
- March 18: APCD 101 (Presentation)
- April 15: Air Quality and Your Health (Presentation)
- May 20: Air Quality & Greenhouse Gases (Presentation)
- June 17: APCD Website Resources (Presentation)
- July 13: Technical Workshop (Presentation 1, Presentation 2)
July 15: Odors and Emergency Response (Presentation)
For updates, check this page or call (502) 574-6000. You can also follow us on Twitter, @LouAPCD
Here are archived presentations from the 2018 Clearing The Air Workshop Series:
- July 16, 2018: APCD 101/Louisville’s Air Quality (Presentation)
- July 23, 2018: Air Quality & Health/Reducing My Pollution Impact (Presentation)
- Aug. 13, 2018: Odors: Reporting and Responding (Presentation)
- Aug. 27, 2018: The APCD Regulatory Process (Presentation)
- Sept. 10, 2018: How We Monitor Air Quality (Presentation)
- Sept. 22, 2018: Technical Workshop (Presentation 1, Presentation 2, Presentation 3, Presentation 4)
- Sept. 24, 2018: The STAR Program/Environmental Justice (Presentation 1, Presentation 2)