Applying for an Open Burning Permit in Louisville

How do I know I need a permit?

Open burning is prohibited in Louisville/Jefferson County unless you have a permit or permission from the APCD.

How do I get a permit?

The following permit applications for open burning are available on our website and at the APCD office.

Complete the application and:

  • Mail it to 701 W. Ormsby Avenue, Suite 303, Louisville, KY 40203;
  • Fax it to (502) 574-5607;
  • Email it; or
  • Hand deliver it to the APCD office.

Which Permit Application do I need?

The most common open burning permit issued is for recreational fires. These are generally for cookouts, parties, and events. You will need the Recreational Fire Application for this type of open burning. If you plan to clear land for agricultural purposes, you may need the Agricultural Burn Application. The Fire Training Application is for fire departments and companies that are conducting fire safety training for employees.

What Happens With My Permit Application?

An APCD specialist will review the permit application for accurate and complete information. All questions on your application should be answered. If you are not sure how to fill out your application, please call the APCD at (502) 574-6000 and someone will assist you.

After your application is reviewed, the APCD may need to contact you for more information or to perform an inspection prior to issuing a permit. The APCD will inform you in advance if this is the case for your open burn.

How Long Does It Take to Receive My Permit?

Generally, the APCD can process your application within 5 days if all of the information is correct and complete. The permit will be sent to you by mail.

Is There a Fee?


How Long Does the Permit Last?

Permits are event specific and are good for the amount of time requested on your application.

What If I Need to Make Changes to the Permit Application?

Please contact the APCD at (502) 574-6000 if you need to change or withdraw your application.

Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories:

  • Garbage Icon Solid Waste Services
  • Police Badge Icon Emergency Services
  • Political Info Icon Political Info
  • House Icon General Location Info

Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and large-item set-out dates. Sign up for large-item set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

Use the Metro311 Online Portal,
our 311 mobile app or email to report something to us!

Call Metro311 at 311 or (502) 574-5000

No service has been selected.

No form has been selected.