Applying for an APCD Open Burning Permit

How do I know I need a permit?

Open burning is prohibited in Louisville/Jefferson County unless you have a permit or permission from the APCD.

How do I get a permit?

The following permit applications for open burning are available on our website and at the APCD office.

Complete the application and:

  • Mail it to 701 W. Ormsby Avenue, Suite 303, Louisville, KY 40203;
  • Fax it to (502) 574-5607;
  • Email it; or
  • Hand deliver it to the APCD office.

Which Permit Application do I need?

The most common open burning permit issued is for recreational fires. These are generally for cookouts, parties, and events. You will need the Recreational Fire Application for this type of open burning. If you plan to clear land for agricultural purposes, you may need the Agricultural Burn Application. The Fire Training Application is for fire departments and companies that are conducting fire safety training for employees.

What Happens With My Permit Application?

An APCD specialist will review the permit application for accurate and complete information. All questions on your application should be answered. If you are not sure how to fill out your application, please call the APCD at (502) 574-6000 and someone will assist you.

After your application is reviewed, the APCD may need to contact you for more information or to perform an inspection prior to issuing a permit. The APCD will inform you in advance if this is the case for your open burn.

How Long Does It Take to Receive My Permit?

Generally, the APCD can process your application within 5 days if all of the information is correct and complete. The permit will be sent to you by mail.

Is There a Fee?


How Long Does the Permit Last?

Permits are event specific and are good for the amount of time requested on your application.

What If I Need to Make Changes to the Permit Application?

Please contact the APCD at (502) 574-6000 if you need to change or withdraw your application.

Enter your address and MyLouisville will find nearby city services in the following categories…

  • Sanitation Services
  • Emergency Services
  • Political Info
  • General Location Info

Find your garbage, recycling, yard waste and junk set-out dates. Sign up for junk set out and street sweeping reminders by email and text!

Notice: The Metro311 Service Request Portal and the 311 mobile app will be offline from Wednesday, June 12 at 7 p.m. until Tuesday, June 18 at 8 p.m. as we prepare to launch our new and improved business & 311 portals. After June 18, there will be a new mobile app for reporting issues to 311. The link to download the app will be available on the Metro311 website. We appreciate your patience during our transition. During our outage period you can reach us by calling 311, emailing us or by chatting with us. Learn more now.

Report Something to Us!

  • Call MetroCall at 311 or (502) 574-5000
  • Email MetroCall
  • Live Chat - Look for our Live Chat tool in the bottom right corner of our site and chat with MetroCall.