Air Quality Alert Basics
If air quality in Louisville is forecast to be at levels that may impact public health ("Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" or higher on the Air Quality Index), the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District will issue an air quality alert.
Air Quality Alerts reminds members of the public to check air quality conditions throughout the day and allows them plan ahead to reduce exposure their own emissions.
How to reduce exposure and stay healthy on Air Quality Alert days:
- Know if you're in a group that is more sensitive to common types of air pollution (children, elderly adults, those with heart or lung disease).
- Avoid heavy outdoor exertion (take more breaks and reduce intensity of exercise).
- If the primary pollutant is ozone, try to do any outdoor activities in the morning, when levels are lower.
- Pay close attention to related symptoms and make sure you have a rescue inhaler if one may be needed.
How to help the air on Air Quality Alert days:
- Use public transportation or work from home, if able.
- Reduce unnecessary vehicle idling, especially in places like drive-thru lanes and school car-rider lines.
- Delay mowing your lawn or switch to lower-emitting equipment.
- Wait to refuel until after 7 p.m.
- Refrain from using household and workshop chemicals.
- Do not have a fire or other burns. Open burning is prohibited on Air Quality Alert days, even if usually legal.
- Businesses can pledge to reduce their emissions on Air Quality Alert days through our Air Quality Action Partners Program.
Forecasts are valuable, but monitoring the air in real time can help you navigate your day, real-time AQI information from the APCD’s monitoring network can be found at Louisville Air Watch, and live AQI from throughout the country can be accessed at EPA’s airnow.gov.
- EnviroFlash: Sign up to receive Air Quality Forecasts and Air Quality Alerts.
- Sign up to receive air quality alerts through text or email.
- Air Quality Index Basics
- Louisville Air Watch: Live Air Quality from APCD's Air Monitoring Stations
- AirNow: Nationwide Live Air Quality & Forecasts