CycLOUvia is on Main Street! Louisville's popular open streets event will take place on Sunday, June 5th 2022, from 2:00-6:00pm. Main Street will be closed to vehicular traffic between 10th Street and Wenzel Street, with facilitated crossings at 8th Street, 2nd Street, and Clay Street.
CycLOUvia is your opportunity to experience Louisville as you never have before, by walking, cycling, skateboarding, or dancing in the street. Streets account for a massive amount of public land in all cities. CycLOUvia repurposes these public spaces by temporarily replacing traditional vehicular traffic with pedestrian traffic. Streets become paved parks where people of all ages, abilities, and socio-economic backgrounds can come to improve their mental, physical, and emotional health.
Below is a list our great partners and progamming for CycLOUvia on Main Street!
- LouVelo bike share is offering free 2-hour rides from1-7pm. Pick up a bike at multiple locations on the corridor!
- CirqueLouis will have performers at 10th Street and throughout the corridor.
- Squallis Puppeteers is seeking volunteers for a mini-parade during the event! They will meet at 10th Street at 2:30pm, with the parade starting at 3pm.
- Communal chalk mural at 9th and Main behind the Louisville Knot, led by local artists.
- Slugger Museum, Frazier History Museum, the Kentucky Science Center, and the Muhammad Ali Center will be on the street at Museum Row.
- Youth-centered activities at Resurfaced, including inflatables, the Balloon Man of Kentucky, and opportunities to learn about the Cultural Pass program.
- Fund for the Arts will be hosting the Louisville Story Program writers from Central High School in their building (623 W Main St), with a reading at 3:30pm from their book “The Fights We Fought Have Brought Us Here.”
- Performances at the Kentucky Center for the Arts, including the Louisville Jazz Initiative, Redline Performing Arts, and the Healing Walls Project.
- Community yoga by Breathe Yoga with Ashley-Brooke at the American Life building plaza. Join for a session at 2:30pm, 3:30pm, or 4:30pm!
- Youth music performances at the YUM! Center plaza. Mighty Shades of Ebony will perform at 2:30pm, followed by two performances from School of Rock at 3:30pm and 5pm!
- The Louisville Bats will have activities in front of Slugger Field, including an opportunity to take swings in a batting cage and appearances from Buddy Bat.
- Against the Grain Smokehouse is partnering with Home Skate Shop to set up a temporary skate park on Main Street near Jackson and Main.
- The Downtown CineBus will be under the interstate overpass near Hancock and Main, with projection art by Ryan Daly.
- Local businesses, organizations, and food trucks will be stationed between Clay and Shelby Streets.
- Four local artists will be installing temporary chalk art in crosswalks at 4th Street, 5th Street, Preston, and Campbell.
Starting in 2012, CycLOUvia events have attracted tens of thousands of people to various neighborhoods across the city. In addition to being part of the Mayor's Healthy Hometown Movement, CycLOUvia promotes healthy lifestyles, alternative transportation, bike/pedestrian safety, and economic development.
For more information about CycLOUvia, contact Michael King - (502) 574-0032.