Crews Begin Restoration Work at Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse
Thursday December 19, 2013
Scaffolding surrounds the Crescent Hill Gatehouse and workers are seemingly dangling over millions of gallons of water. Work is underway to restore the Gatehouse at the Crescent Hill Reservoir. The site, at Frankfort and Reservoir Avenue, is a favorite walking destination and part of Louisville Water’s treatment process. Louisville Water is replacing the slate roof on the Gatehouse and restoring the inside of the facility. This week, crews completed the scaffolding around the outside of the building and have begun the restoration.
This is the first extensive restoration of the Gatehouse in its 130-year history. The Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse were constructed in 1878 to provide the growing city with a larger supply of water and to allow sediment to settle out of the Ohio River water. Chief Engineer Charles Hermany also had a secondary purpose when he designed the Gothic-style structure – he wanted to create a destination for travelers coming through Louisville by train and for the locals who could use the site to escape the city for a stroll.
Today, the Reservoir and Gatehouse are still part of Louisville Water’s treatment process where sediment settles out of 110 million gallons of water before traveling to the Filtration Plant. The Reservoir is still a popular walking destination and while the work is underway, there’s a new twist in the route – the pathway is open to walkers and runners, but you can’t make a full loop around the site.
The project includes replacing the original slate roof, restoring cast iron details on the exterior and repairing windows and masonry. It is a tedious project considering the structure sits in the middle of a gigantic basin of water. The work will conclude by the end of September 2014 with a total cost of $2.2 million.