Metro Research Institute (MRI)
Project Concept: Establish a collaborative initiative between Louisville Metro Government and local universities (University of Louisville, Spalding University, Bellarmine University and other interested universities) to create a pool of faculty members interested in criminal justice and public safety research opportunities. Opportunities will be primarily “pro-bono” but there may be some funded initiatives.
Mission Statement: To establish a collaborative partnership between Louisville Metro Government and local universities to promote and facilitate research initiatives, program consultation, and project evaluations for criminal justice and public safety policy purposes.
Benefits to Local Universities:
- Participation of local university faculty in a network for research projects and program evaluations.
- Creation of a new partnership between local agencies and local university faculty for consultation and program advisement.
- Establishment of a formal link between criminal justice educators and local agencies in a manner that will provide tangible benefits for both local universities and local projects.
- Access to criminal justice and public safety data and key personnel for research purposes
- Opportunity to potentially serve as lead investigator on research topics
- Opportunities to potentially receive grant funding to support justice and public safety project evaluations
- Ability to enhance viability of grant applications by demonstrating Metro Government/Agency partnerships and participation of experienced research faculty
- Opportunity to fulfill the urban mission of local universities
- Local recognition for university contributions to criminal justice and public safety research
- Potential placements for student internships as well as employment opportunities
- Ability to participate in a pool of recognized criminal justice experts for local level presentations and testimony
- Ability to influence policy decisions in the justice and public safety arena